Time is a concept that can be difficult to grasp. With preschoolers, I tend to focus on seasons of the year and daily occurring events (breakfast, playtime, bath time, bedtime to name a few). Here are a few songs that go along with the general idea of time. Some are for singing; some are for movement & playing activities. Others are for discussion.
- All Night, All Day (Gospel)
- Good Night Ladies
- House on Pooh Corner
- My Grandfather’s Clock
- Rock Around the Clock
- Syncopated Clock
- Hickory, Dickery, Dock
- Time to be Happy
Here are a couple of non-affiliate sites that have songs for preschoolers:
- Songs for Teaching – They have songs about seasons, calendars, and reading the clock for purchase.
- Listen & Learn Music – Rachel Rambach has some very affordable music songs about seasons and months to check out.
If you are interested in books for children, here are a few suggestions:
- A Second is a Hiccup by Hazel Hutchins
- Clocks and More Clocks by Pat Hutchins
- It’s About Time by Stuart Murphy
- Pajama Time by Sandra Boynton
- Telling Time with Mama Cat by Dan Harper
- The Clock Struck One: A Time-telling Tale by Trudy Harris
Do you have other songs or books you use when talking about time with toddlers & preschoolers? Please share them under comments!
- Books and Babies and Kids and Their Grown-ups (desperatehousescribes.wordpress.com)
- Preschool Music CDs for Circle Time (brighthub.com)
- Time to Spring Forward (musicsparks.wordpress.com)