It can be so much fun to share songs in a mixed age group. Sometimes I also include movement activities. For example, provide scarves and partner people of differing ages. Have them move together to “Waltz of the Flowers” or another instrumental flower song. See what blossoms! (Laughter and smiles will likely be present.)
Depending on the ages, here are a few songs worth sharing:
- Four Leaf Clover
- Garden Song (Arlo Guthrie & Pete Seeger) See this great idea from another music therapist!
- Green Grow the Rushes, Ho
- Inch Worm
- Lavenders Blue
- Octopus’s Garden (Beatles)
- Tip Toe Through the Tulips Potential issues with use highlighted in this blog.
- White Coral Bells
- Yellow Rose of Texas
Let me know your favorite flower song to share in an intergenerational group. And, for even more resources, sign-up for my newsletter. The next issue will be blooming forth this weekend (April 29-30, 2011.)
- Intergenerational Memory Gardens – Nurturing through Nature (cdaamerica.wordpress.com)
- Musical Laugh for April Fool’s