When I was a child I loved to act silly, to hear silly things, and to sing silly songs. Silly songs can let us learn about social graces, say the things that are otherwise socially unacceptable, and can make us laugh. During a recent trip to the library I stumbled upon a wonderful series of books written by Alan Katz and illustrated by David Catrow. These gentlemen have managed to capture toddler and playground humor to create lyrics and illustrations that are a hoot. The lyrics are partnered with well known tunes much like “On Top of Spaghetti” is sung to “On Top of Old Smokey”.
Here’s a little more on these books:
While not a complete list by this author and illustrator duo, this is the titles from my local library>
- Take Me Out of the Bathtub and Other Silly Dilly Songs
- I’m Still Here in the Bathtub – Brand New Silly Dilly Songs
- Smelly Locker Silly Dilly School Songs
- On Top of the Potty and Other Get-up-and-go Songs
I encourage you to check out these or other books for a sing with your child.
Here are some other articles on singable children’s books:
- Singable Books: Neighborhood Sing-along (musicsparks.wordpress.com)
- Singable Books: Patriotic (musicsparks.wordpress.com)